Thursday, February 28

I Like It!

I really like the idea of a community garden. Maybe we could call it God's Garden...Planting Seeds of Hope (kind of in keeping with Tim's idea, which I also like.)



A few musings :



1) Who would we target as users of the garden? It seems to me that the people who pick up food may not be the most self-motivated when it comes to planning, scheduling and following through on a commitment of this sort, I don't mean that disrespectfully by any means, only that their life skills may not be such that they would take advantage of the garden. I could see those around us as having more potential as well as senior citizens.



2) What about the maintenance of the garden? Watering, weeding, pests and other critters, etc.



3) Is that piece of land next to the church the best place for this or should we perhaps see if there is someone willing to donate some land already given over to farming?



4) Are we better off commiting to doing this ourselves and then adding the fruits of our labors to whatever Gleaners brings?



Those are just some of the thoughts I have regarding the garden.



As far as the name goes, I do like the dual type of format. Crossroads Community Church...A Bridge to Hope for Our Community

That's it for now. Say goodnight Ron. Goodnight Ron.

2 comments:

Allendale Community Church said...

1) Maybe we don't need to 'target' anyone. Maybe we just plant it and post a sign that welcomes others to 'eat of the fruits-or veggies as the case may be.' because I agree with your thoughts here.

2) Hmmm...we might need to make up a schedule. But...I think this would be an excellent project for our youth! And since I love to garden then I can take charge. I want to have a meeting with them to talk about this idea.

3) I like the idea of having it next to the church. It's there it's crying out for attention.

4)Yes! It would be a way to get started. If we go into it with the idea of 'just plant it and they will come' it would be much less stressful. AND if no one in the community wants to take part in receiving our garden food then there are many of us in our church family who would and could use it. And even if it's just us taking from the garden, it's still a 'community' idea. We would living as they did in the New Testament. Sharing food.

I think it's worth trying!

Allendale Community Church said...

Just so you know, the comment above was left by Sal :0)