Thursday, June 25

Power in Compassion

Mark 1:40-45

from 6/21/09

"A man with leprosy came to Him and begged Him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out His hand and touched the man. "I am willing, be clean!" Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cleansed.

Leprosy was a condemnation of death. You were an outcast and considered dead while you were still alive. You had to avoid all contact with people and even yell out "Unclean" if anyone came near. Your cloths were ragged, your hair was unkempt and you probably stank. You weren't even allowed to worship in the temple.

Jesus, so filled with compassion, was willing and was powerful enough to beat death.

First His touch, before anything else, gave emotional healing. How long had it been since that man had been touched by anyone? What would that have been like?
Then the man was given physical healing - the leprosy left him. (Did he smell good now?) And finally, he was given spiritual healing when told that he was cleansed and to present himself to the priests so that he could worship again in the temple.

What if my sins showed on me the same way that leprosy showed on the man?
Would I feel sorry for myself or would I seek healing? Would I believe? Would I rejoice and celebrate and tell everyone I knew the good news when I was cleansed?

Do I?
Did I?

No comments: