Tuesday, March 11

Thoughts For Food Day

Open the whole side up for waiting area. LIKE THIS IDEA -

It is a good idea for now. Once it gets warmer, we can have people wait in the sanctuary while we set up outside. R

The last truck driver mentioned something about churches setting up outside. I thought that was just some of those big older churches where people have to walk downstairs to basements and it is hard to move around and, maybe, to keep "those people" out. Is that something we would have to do? Wouldn't that reduce the possible contact time we have with them and keep them out of the building? I guess I'd have to see what and why. T

Register in the "Youth" room. T

I WAS THINKING THE SAME! -S

That was my original thought. R

Try to prevent waiting in the hallway; pull get 2 or 4 groups at a time T

One thing I was considering (comments welcome) was this: Once we establish our "regulars" say those who come three consecutive times, then we can give them appointment times on the mail out. Making sure we set their portion aside.


Mail receive by Thursday (or Wes?) SOME DIDN'T GET 'TIL Saturday-I AM PLANNING TO MAIL OUT Monday MORNING PRIOR TO FOOD DAY. THAT SHOULD WORK. -S

Flyers to local neighbors on Wes or Thurs. (get more of our immediate community) I THINK DELIVERING Saturday JUST BEFORE THE TRUCK ARRIVES IS FINE. OTHERWISE WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO ORGANIZE ANOTHER GROUP FOR ANOTHER DAY TO DO THIS. AND...I THINK WE WILL BE SEEING 100 FAMILIES NEXT TIME ANYHOW SO WE MIGHT NOT EVEN NEED TO DO THIS. S

I think too we want to make sure that we are reaching the neediest families we can. Working through LOVE, Goodwill and the schools should help. Are their other food banks we could check with? R

My thinking on this is about establishing an (immediate) community presence. Yes, the how-tos might be more difficult. Maybe it would be a tie-in to a prayer walk, putting our prayers time into action? Also on my mind is the phone call I got from a family (in response to the Saturday
flier) after 2:30. The kids remembered them as wanting to come bad, but they didn't have transportation at the time. T

Can we legally feed some type of meal while they wait? NO. :-) I THINK THIS WOULD BE TOO MUCH. BLESS YOUR HEART FOR THINKING ABOUT IT. I THINK THIS WOULD BE ANOTHER PROJECT. OR SOMETHING WE MIGHT ADD LATER ON WHEN WE ARE BIGGER. IF WE GET BIGGER. for workers? BRING OWN LUNCH OR ORDER PIZZA? BUT THE FOOD WAS HELPFUL. S

Actually we could if we wanted to but I agree with Sal on this one for now-am trying to increase our volunteer base so that we can do more but that will take time.This would probably be a tough one. Rules about water temperature and dishwashers, etc. R

Rotation for workers? HMMM. NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE OR WHAT YOU
MEAN S

Once we get more volunteers perhaps. R

If church members, qualify for food, may they register and receive food and still help?

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO WORK AND TO RECEIVE FOOD. I HOPE SO. I'D HATE TO SEE THEM NOT HELP OUT. WE HAD OTHERS WHO HELPED TOO THAT RECEIVED FOOD. S

At the meeting I attended two weeks ago, we were told by Gleaners that it is okay for our volunteers to receive food, The only conditions are they either have to wait until all others have been served or they can set a portion aside but they must give it up if there are more people. However, I think they were really referring to volunteers who may not really have a need but just wanted to take some home. R

I'm still mixed up on how the registration people tell someone that they don't qualify for food. What is the basis? If our people qualify they need to register, get in line, and put food into their cars, not leave it sitting in saved piles. I want them served also. T

YES, I AGREE ABOUT NEEDING TO PLACE IN THE CAR INSTEAD OF LEAVING
IT SIT OUT - S

This is a start or continue. Build relationships, share the joy. Remember why we are doing this! We had extra people this time. But I should have gone to the back and talked more (though mostly women are coming so maybe some ladies need to do this). I wish someone had told me Joe Cook was there so I could have said hi to him. I just saw him on the way out. T

TIM, VICKI TALKED TO HIM AND HE WAS VERY PLEASED TO KNOW THAT WE WERE PRAYING FOR HIM. NEXT TIME WE WILL TELL YOU. :0) I LOVED BEING WHERE I WAS. I HOPE I CAN STILL DO THAT! BUT YES, MAYBE WE CAN HAVE ONE MALE AND ONE FEMALE REGISTERING? S


I'm not sure if Judy brought lunch meat for just her family or for anybody-T YES IT HELPED ME! CAROLINE MADE ME A SANDWICH. I THINK WE CAN EACH BRING A LUNCH. OR ORDER PIZZA AS I MENTIONED ABOVE S

Either way works for me. R

This might sound weird, but I'm a detail guy. Sandwiches good, pizza bad. Sandwiches are easy to make and can be done whenever there is time. Pizza comes and it causes a disruption as we try to get it while it is warm. But the main reason is the perception to the people we are trying to serve. (Because as they keep telling me at work, grrr, perception is reality) When Caroline's sister gets her food, she has talked about in a resentful way the smell of the food the workers are sharing. Maybe they are taking our food, etc.

WELL OK THE CYNICAL SIDE OF ME SAYS,, YOU ARE GETTING FREE FOOD SO WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING? BUT I SUPPOSE IT WOULD BE BEST TO BE SENSITIVE TO THE POSSIBILITY OF BAD FEELINGS. S

No comments: